Personal Banking - Overdraft Privilege<< personal banking home
What is OVERDRAFT PRIVILEGE?
With OVERDRAFT PRIVILEGE you will have peace of mind knowing that HEARTLAND will cover overdrafts including overdraft fees totaling up to $500.00 on your account. We will honor your checks and they will not be returned. Best of all, this service will cost you nothing unless you use it. Then, you will pay only the overdraft fees that we would normally charge for overdrawn checks. Fees are assessed for any item which creates an overdraft on your account whether the item is a check, in-person withdrawal, ATM withdrawal, or other electronic means. The bank will assess a $28.50 overdraft item fee for each item presented against insufficient funds that we pay that creates or increases an overdraft on your account. The bank also will assess a $28.50 return overdraft fee for each item presented against insufficient funds that we return unpaid regardless of the type of item. Whether your overdrafts will be paid is discretionary and the bank reserves the right not to pay. For example, we typically do not pay overdrafts if your account is not in good standing, or you are not making regular deposits, or you have too many overdrafts.
To qualify for OVERDRAFT PRIVILEGE
- The account must be open for 90 calendar days and have monthly transaction activity, i.e., deposits and/or withdrawals completed by the accountholder;
- The account has not had excessive OD items and/or chargeback items;
- The account owner has not filed for bankruptcy;
- The account must have no liens, levies or other legal restrictions on it; and
- The account must be a personal checking account (OVERDRAFT PRIVILEGE is not available for Redi-Money Accounts or Business Accounts).
Can I decline to have OVERDRAFT PRIVILEGE on my account?
Yes. If you wish to opt out you would call or visit one of our branches to complete and sign a form which will indicate that you are requesting to not have this overdraft privilege on your account.back to top